By signing up for a class with us, you agree to abide by these rules:
- Follow the MCS Code of Conduct at all times.
- Arrive 10 minutes before posted start time, and be ready to start on time.
- Respect your fellow students’ and the instructors’ time:
- No phone usage in class (if you need to make a call, or send a text, or whatever, step outside!)
- When the instructors call for the class’s attention, stop all extra discussion right away.
- No teaching fellow students during class. (There is a difference between teaching and speaking up when something is painful or inappropriate — that is always acceptable.)
- Rotate to a new partner when instructed.
- You are never obligated to dance with someone who is making you uncomfortable — consent is critical! If someone is behaving inappropriately in class, please report their behavior to the instructors (or MCS Safer Spaces officer) so we can take appropriate action.
- If there’s a specific person you’re not comfortable dancing with, talk to the instructor(s) before class begins. The instructor(s) may make accommodation at their discretion.
- Note that there is a difference between declining a dance with someone whose behavior makes you uncomfortable, and discrimination. Per the Code of Conduct, discrimination of any kind is not tolerated.
- In an ambi class, switch roles when instructed to do so. In a focus class, stick with the role you signed up as for the entire class.
All students taking classes at Motor City Swing are required to follow our class rules. Enforcement of these rules is up to the instructors of each class, and may include temporary removal or permanent removal from the class with no refund.