By signing up for a class with us, you agree to abide by these rules:
- Follow the MCS Code of Conduct and COVID-19 Policy at all times. In particular, take note of the section on Classes in our COVID policy!
- Arrive 10 minutes before posted start time, and be ready to start on time.
- Respect your fellow students’ and the instructors’ time:
- No phone usage in class (if you need to make a call, or send a text, or whatever, step outside!)
- When the instructors call for the class’s attention, stop all extra discussion right away.
- No teaching fellow students during class (but speaking up when something is painful or inappropriate is always acceptable).
- Rotate to a new partner when instructed.
- You are never obligated to dance with someone who is making you uncomfortable: consent is critical! If someone is behaving inappropriately in class, please report their behavior to the instructors, MCS Safer Spaces officer, or an MCS board member right away so we can take appropriate action.
- If there’s a specific person you do not want to dance with, talk to the instructor(s) before class begins. The instructor(s) may choose to make accommodation at their discretion, but are not obligated to do so.
- Note that declining to dance with someone whose behavior makes you uncomfortable is one thing, and discrimination is another entirely. Per the Code of Conduct, discrimination of any kind is not tolerated at MCS.
- In an ambi class, switch roles when instructed to do so. In a focus class, stick with the role you signed up as for the entire class.
All students taking classes at Motor City Swing are required to follow our class rules. Enforcement of these rules is up to the instructors of each class, and may include temporary removal or permanent removal from the class with no refund. More details on enforcement can be found in our Safer Spaces Policy.